Monday, September 5, 2011

Pasta a la “Prawninara”

Well, I am not Italian so if pasta and prawns has got a more original name than the above, accept my sincere apologies. In this happy place, we accept that we are allowed to make up words for things that may already exist.


Pasta topped with prawns in organic tomato based pasta sauce


I bought about 3 kilos of organic tomatoes the other day, and this recipe is a part of my red, orange and yellow tomatoes series and what I made with them.
Tonight I made what I would call one of the easiest meals ever. Remember, I go for simple, quick and tasty as I am a working mum and life can get hectic. Pasta has always been a favourite for when I want to get in, cook and get out of the kitchen. I used my wonderful tomatoes for this meal too. You will need:

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or fry light for the oil conscious
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic chopped
3 tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
360g of prawns (2 packs from Sainsbury’s usually)
Salt and pepper to taste


Boil your pasta in a sauce pan. While it is cooking, saute the onions in the olive oil, add the garlic and stir for a minute. I like to keep my ingredients with some fresh bite still in them. Add the tomato paste and stir to cook it. My mum always told me that frying tomato paste gives it a better taste and reduces its sourness. Add the tomatoes and stir. The tomatoes will reduce shortly. After 5 minutes, add the prawns and cook through. Strain the cooked pasta, serve your prawninara on it, cheese if you like and top with fresh basil leaves.

Voila! Your meal is done!


Ever tried mixing your salad with warm veggies?

As always, it is best served with a third of your plate full of fresh green vegetables, steamed or a salad. Happy eating.
See here for more step by step photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment